Friday, September 26, 2008

excuses excuses...

Once again, I know that I have been neglecting this site.
Clearly, you can see that I have been busy back in the city. Dishing up braised cabbage and crispy sage left and right --preparing for the colder months to take hold and leave me with roots, roots, and more roots.
Photo: Alison Miksch
Alas, I am ashamed. Oh well!
I've left the farm, not for greener pastures per say, though I am excited to be back at my restaurant re-working the fall menu and enjoying the buzz of the city.
I have also been venturing out to eat quite a bit as of lately.

Something notable --- if you are extremely bored-- you can listen to my interview with Robin McDermott. Remember, I suggested that you be bored silly.

She has been putting forth tremendous effort to educate and percolate her local community, where I had the privilege of living through the summer...
As such, I connect deeply with Robin's article on food waste.

"Do you want a quick way to reduce your rapidly increasing weekly food bill by 25 percent? It’s easy: stop wasting food. According to a recent article in the New York Times, 25 percent of all food purchased in the U.S. ends up in the trash. Not only is this a waste of money, but it is bad for our landfills now bursting at their seams with unwanted remnants of our wasteful society... I still find science projects in our refrigerator from time to time and I have no choice but to toss them, but they go into the compost pile...Let’s hope that as food costs rise, the silver lining is that everyone gains a little more respect for food and the people who grow and produce it.. "

...speaking of privilege, I have been out to eat more than usual this month.
Moving from Vermont to DC with my car packed full vermont honey, Blueberry jam, fresh picked wild apples, etc.
Jenny and I needed a break and along with something fatty.

How to enjoy a meal on the road...
Determination is a must!
Pull off the Highway
Drive into town
Start looking around
Find a restaurant or something that resembles one
Park, Walk inside, Look at menu -- if your stomach growls--go for it.

We found a great Asian Bistro about a mile off the Interstate in White Plains, Ny.


...
I happen to be quite frugal on most occasions, except when it comes to food. I had no problem forking over a little extra cash for the vegetarian tasting menu at Cityzen.
Though I am not a fan of asparagus in September, the dishes were expertly prepared and the the service was infallible. I could go on and on about this dining experience ...
Honestly though, it's about the moment I was there with my girl and dear friends. Also, I am no restaurant blogger.
I do think that those of us who are privileged enough to enjoy the artistry of a unique culinary experience should take more time to enjoy it.
Of course, I say this as not only a diner but also a chef who puts my heart, soul, and mind into each dish I prepare. Cooking and eating are means to bring people into community with one another. The act of eating for pleasure is a special gift -- savor it.
Or, if you prefer have it Ala Mode.
Cinnamon Bun Souffle with Cappuccino Ice cream and Steamed milk

Though it's difficult to tell it's fall some days, it won't last long. I am going to stock up on as many tomatoes, plums, cucumbers, and berries as I can get my hands on. Time to start frantically canning now. Next time - hopefully soon - I will give some helpful hints for preserving to get you through the winter.

In the meantime, I know you'll be kept entertained.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DAMN! That looks good. Welcome back to DC, Chez. It's starting to be fall out here in Montana--cold mornings at least--and it's wheat harvest time. Also, hops harvest time so beer will be made at the local breweries. We will need this in winter for sure. I always like your munching ideas and look forward to more excitement from your urban kitchen--with special sous-chef jenny.
RT

vtnutmeg said...

Chez-glad to see you're posting again. We miss you up here in VT!

Anonymous said...

We miss you Caesare! I was just up at Knoll Farm last night and missed seeing you there! People are still talking about the amazing 5th anniversary event that you and your crew pulled off!

Foliage is just about peak although it is raining which is bad news for those leaves that are barely hanging on the trees for the leaf peepers to see.

We had a hard frost a couple of weeks ago, but Ray and I were able to dodge the bullet thanks to some heavy duty plant protection so we are still getting tomatoes, but they just are not as tasty when compared to a delicious winter squash. We harvested 150 pounds of potatoes from our garden last weekend!

We have a newer and better phone system at the radio station now so let's do another show in the next month or two - I am sure that people up here would love to hear from you.

Take care!
Robin

generic ed drugs said...

They are brimming with antioxidants, vitamins, and flavonoids, and consequently don't bring an excessive amount of caloric load. All these properties make the blueberry jam organic food in our eating regimen.
Buy all types of medicines from here-"order online usa"