Sunday, June 29, 2008

Knives and round things...

Like tomatoes and spoons.....
I am now realizing that my 16 hours in the farm kitchen each day are drastically edging into my blog time. However, I've still found time to carve 2 spoons in the past two days. I am clearly obsessed. I woke up at 5am, just so I could carve. Seriously ...
I'm beginning to think that I might just be a 'carvaholic.'


Tomato season hits a little later for those of us in the North...but finally -- It has arrived. I hope you're out in your own garden or at the farmer's market buying and eating as many tomatoes as possible. As an aside: you should also be making tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, salsa, etc.

The best thing you can do with these suckers is slice em' and eat em'.
For lunch today, I made a classic fresh Insalata Caprese. So easy!
For dinner I made Enchiladas with black beans, sauteed summer squash, red onion, and ...

(Leftover enchiladas)
SIMPLE Salsa de Chili Rojo.

4 Large tomatoes -Pureed
2 T Garlic - Minced
1 Large Onion- Minced
1/2 can beer (lager is nice, but any will do)
2-3 chipolte peppers in Adobe Sauce - pureed
1/4 C. Fresh Thyme leaves (dried if fresh unavailable)
2 t cumin
1/4 C. Fresh Cilantro - Chopped (OPTIONAL)

In a large saute pan, cook Onions and Garlic in olive or sunflower oil until translucent, add thyme and cilantro and allow to begin browning slightly -- pour in beer. Add tomato puree and bring to simmering boil for 5 minutes. While still simmering, add chipolte and cumin. Reduce to desired consistency and season with salt to taste.

Now you've got the best part of the dish. Try Layering fresh summer squash and cubed feta in a baking dish and spread this on top. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes! Muy bueno y sano. (thats good and healthy!)

Of course Julie is smiling because of this awesome bacon from Gaylord Farms.
Also, there are baby Mokum Carrot. She is cutting the greens off so they don't suck the life out of those babies and cause them to become wrinkled...
and speaking of baby carrots <--- those are imposters. (No carrot tops were harmed, as we used them for stock)

2 comments:

Montana Barn Cat said...

This salsa looks REALLY good. Chipotles have a unique flavor that works well in lots of dishes. Do you use a lot of chilies in your cookery?

Marisa McCormick said...

wants pics of salsa! mmmm chipotle....