Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Grass Fed ... and dough balls



Samir brought a Masala Dabba ...



which I used to make a Tofu Scramble.

Nothing really compares to quality fresh spices. Seriously, its worth the investment.
He also came into the kitchen and made a Red lentil Dal and cilantro Chutney. Damn Good Samir!

NOW - the fun stuff.

My girl says I should better explain whats going on in these photos/videos. I sometimes forget to do those sorts of things...Continually having half of a conversation in my head and then interjecting "now, just add the sauce there and do that and there ya go... a delicious pie".
So, having realized I blog in the same manner ... I will work on details.

The follow film contains Otis. He is a lovable and energy filled little muffin of 1 month old cow. He likes to drink raw milk (1 gallon each day), chase the sheep, and suck on anything he can possibly find. He lives a very very happy life here on the farm. I often chase him around the pasture, laughing and stroking his ears.

Next fall, he will become prime cuts.

Special thanks to Anisha..and my beautiful lover. This moo's for you.

On the subject of frolicking with baby Otis, I was able to acquire a nice hunk of beautiful grass fed sirloin from Gaylords
and cooked it on this great make shift fire pit.
This is actually one of the few times I have cooked meat since I began working as the Executive chef at an unnamed vegetarian restaurant in DC.

In addition to seasoning the meat with seared Caesare' skin -- I also doused it in my Argentinian Steak Sauce.
Caesare's CHIMMI CHURRI SAUCE
5 cloves garlic
1 C fresh parsley (approximately 1 bunch)
--you can also use cilantro if you're a fan--
1t red chili flakes
1t ground cumin
2 T Oregano
salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
1/2 c olive oil

Blend all ingredients (except oil) in cuisinart until well combined, slowly drizzle in oil until emulsified.



...now for the balls.
I am in charge of making pizzas tonight -- for many hungry campers.
So, I'll get you started with my ball recipe ...

Pizza Dough Balls
3 C Flour (unbleached!!!)
1 package Fleischman's active dry yeast
1 C warm water
1 T honey
2 T olive oil
2 t salt

1. Proof the yeast in warm water (between 90-100 F)
ALL ABOUT YEAST
Proofing - the testing of the yeast to make sure it is still active. This is done by dissolving the yeast in a warm liquid to which sugar or flour have been added (OR HONEY!!). This mixture is then set aside for 5-10 minutes and should become foamy and bubbly. (Thanks Joy of Baking!)

2. Add flour and salt to large mixing bowl, make a well in the center to pour the proofed yeast and olive oil... Once yeast is bubbly, add to flour.

3. Mix flour from the outside in, turning the bowl in a circular motion. Dough should come together as one solid mass. If needed, add cold water - 1 T at a time.

4. Turn dough onto floured surface and Knead until you form a ball!

5. Oil your ball and set aside in warmish place for a few hours, until doubled in size. Break your ball into 2-3 balls - Roll em' out and dress em' up pretty.. bake at 375.

I make my balls the day before and leave em' in the fridge. I pull my balls out a few hours before I want to use them so they can soften up right.


Also, Deb took this nice onion picture prior to carmelization for pie dressin.


2 comments:

Montana Barn Cat said...

THANKS for the Chimichurri recipe, Chef. I have been meaning to try some. We make our own chili flakes from whole dried chilies which works well. There really is a big difference in the taste of grass-fed beef. Out here in Montana we can get it and it's like a different animal than "finished" beef. That finishing is a whole lot of corn and other weird grains and additives administered in nasty feedlots. Not so nice. ALSO!--Thanks for the Otis interview.

mma.deb said...

Enjoying your pics and recipes, as always Chef Chez! Your blog really looks great! I'm envious of all the things you can do on yours! I have to be honest here, I'm kind of rooting for Otis to escape. I could take him with me to Africa. They're allowed to just roam around in the streets with folks! Have a great 4th!