Wednesday, July 16, 2008

into the wild...mushroom huntin.

I guess I have always had an affinity for anything edible. Which explains the aforementioned chubbiness.
My brother used to completely abhor even the slightest mention of the idea. He would make those ridiculous gagging noises, that have since become his trademark. Living in Oklahoma, we never really had much access to anything beyond canned or white buttons ....
So, in honor of Rabi --who has since changed his eatin' ways ...I give you:
The wonderful world of mushrooms.

I had a great time hiking over the past few days... I needed to get out in the woods and find sanctuary from our high fructose society... I actually just needed to stretch my legs and be silent for a few hours. .. Actually, Vermont is the only state capital with NO McDONALD's (Coca Cola users can still find their vice.

There weren't of a lot of shrooms around due to dry weather ...But there were plenty for me.
My friend Jeremy, a fellow foodie with a wise pallete, motivated me to get out and forage for things besides nettles and jewel weed. Things like King Boletes and Chanterelles.
Bolete

Chanterelle

In other wild news ... I harvested a few Cattails from the pond. I'm definitely feeling more connected to earth from all this wild grazing. I just sliced up the cattail roots and ate them raw. No harm.
I think I will harvest more and use them in a saute with the mushrooms and eat for dinner.

A note of caution: I am no expert. In fact, I'm barely an amateur. Sometimes, I just think things look edible, so I taste them. Mostly, I imagine that my stomach is made of some sort of machine grade steel due to bourbon consumption. If you're going to try and harvest your own wild edibles, I recommend seeking out and expert adviser. At least pick up a book.

............

ps. It is sugar snap season
dont cook em, just eat em.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

I think those are two-colored bolets. Just as good as king though!

caesare` said...

youre the one who said they were kings... smarty.