Wednesday, July 23, 2008

raining and the blues

Finally - It is blueberry season ...
I have slept in Helen's blueberry patch across from my yurt, waiting for the bountiful season to begin ---its about damn time that these delicious and antioxidant packed treats of the summer have arrived.
I'd like to pass on my blueberry peach crisp recipe ... But I don't want you people baking these fresh delights, damnit. I like to grab a wheel of Blythedale Brie (remember to let it ripen for a few hours before serving), drizzled with local honey
a few slices of bread and those awesome fresh blueberries.

Read up on CSA's and find one in your area, if you're lucky to catch them in time. Many farms offer winter CSA's as well. It is the best way to get top quality, fresh food and build community and relationship with your local growers. Helen puts in the extra effort by making pestos and adding Knoll Farm eggs to her members' baskets...
This is a simple, yet eloquent salad ...prepared with local, fresh ingredients and no fuss -- its all about compatibility folks, whether it be Summer Radishes with arugula, horseradish sauteed apples, raspberry cider vinagrette, and creamy chevre ...or a 66 year old love affair. Just remember that some things go together and some things just dont.
Remember to sprinkle with a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Delicious!
For details on this one, you're going to have to ask.
I have to apologize for my tardiness in posting. It's been a hectic week here on the farm. I promise to update with more recipes soon ...just please, dont stop reading. To further lure your interested .............. My finale.

That is right, wood fired cob oven pizza. And yes, those are VT Smoke and Cure Pepperonis.
If you have some free time, I recommend following my pizza recipe. You don't need many toppings to get going and you don't need a bad ass cob oven... Fire up the grill and grab a few cold ones. Grilled pizza is seriously delicious. Just make sure your fire is low (on gas) or your coals are white -- Make sure the grate is HOT. Cook dough just like you'd cook eggs - with patience. (As the water evaporates from the dough/egg, a crust begins to form ..a common mistake is to be antsy --- let it mellow until it moves freely from the grill (or pan).

Since I don't have much time to throw a recipe in the mix, I'm passing it on to my friend Jeremy. I gave him a dozen Knoll Farm eggs -- and He done em up right. Therefore -- Thou shalt read and learn. He has a keen camera eye and he also gave me some props on his site. So ... For further reading Jeremy Bites.

2 comments:

Montana Barn Cat said...

We are trying that pizza...and salad!

Jenny Miller said...

I just realized that Vermont Smoke & Cure pepperoni is what came in my Bereavement Basket from work, and has been sitting on my shelf for a year.