Sunday, July 13, 2008

to start the day

..Silence

Moments pass and we never stop to assume their magnitude ...
quickly, in this infinite universe, our creation of time stirs forward.
Keeping us locked into the cycle of continual process.
and it not until we break this cycle that there is an instance for peace.
It is from within our breath that we are given the occasion to meditate upon the sun, wind, and rain
...to fill our souls with energy to face the day.
Possibly to rejuvenate from the loneliness, sadness, or disassociation we face inside our hearts.


So, to start each moment with silence is a gift of the most simplistic nature.

Also, a griddle cakes with a damn good coffee is also great at re balancing the chi.
Corn Griddle Cakes --
2 C Butterworks Farm "early riser" cornmeal
1 C Whole Wheat Flour or rice for Gluten free
2 t Baking powder (aluminum free)
1/3 C canola oil
3 T maple syrup or honey or 1.5 T molasses
1 C whole milk or soymilk
1 C coffee or water
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Mix dry and wet separately and then together until combined. Do not overmix. The consistency should be spoonable--whatever that means. The most important thing is that you have a hot cast iron skillet.
Hopefully it is seasoned well and you don't need much oil for cooking. Spoon mixture into pan and allow to cook fully before flipping. If the cakes are too thick to cook thoroughly, just throw em in a hot even for a few minutes and they'll finish cooking.
Serve with fresh berries, apples, yogurt,-- for a bad ass Huevos Rancheros that will impress your friends -top with black beans, fresh salsa, avocado, and an egg.

Broccoli - as seen through Deb's awesome camera. Here in Vermont, the Brassica veggies are in full swing. As a younger and chubbier Caesare`, I used to eat lots of orange cheddar cheese with small bits of mushy broccoli --which was DELICIOUS Mom! However, I have since learned that It is also delicious minus the weird cheese.

Simple Broccoli minus weird cheese
Step 1
1 head broccoli cut in long slivers - You can eat the stalk, just cut off the tough end from harvest
(read about Organic vs. Non-Organic and which are safest)
Pot Boiling water
bowl with cold water
Toss Broccoli into boiling water for about 2 minutes, until green is glowing. Remove and toss into cold water to stop cooking process. This is called "Blanching"
Step 2
Toasted Sesame Oil
1 Red Onion, sliced
1 C sliced mushrooms (shitake are yum!)
1/4 C Sunflower seeds
1 t Red chili flakes (optional)
3T rice vinegar or balsamic
salt to taste
Heat a saute pan until very hot, add enough sesame oil to coat pan. Toss in onions, then mushrooms, and finally blanched broccoli -- saute over HIGH heat until slightly browning, add chili flakes (hopefully, they will not burn your nose hairs!). Just before turning off heat, add vinegar. This will deglaze those flavors from the bottom of the pan and make a nice sauce. Salt if needed, sprinkle seeds and enjoy.


Those are Chocolate Truffles with Fresh ground peppermint.
They happen to be Vegan --->BTW, I had never heard of a "vegansexual" (and if you live in Oklahoma, you probably haven't either) but it does seem to be mostly true, per my experience. Also, I have no problem with Veganism, for all those vegans out there who might take personally any slight hint of mockery, which is also typical of G. W. Bush Supporters...but this page ain't about who is and isn't a moron. I just like to point out the differences of opinion on the internet. Also, I sure like cheese.

Thanks for sitting through that.. and my apologies to have realized that I actually use this recipe at my restaurant and cannot reveal the secret. However, I do have a tendency to make them for parties in trade for Bourbon.

Food can serve as a rejuvenation just as well as silence. Make your friends or family some food and eat together...
or hell, eat by yourself.
I know that I can't wait to eat by myself -- I sure love cooking for all these great retreat participants ... but I also love catching up on my blog--and that means I have time to drink a beer and enjoy some food, made by someone else, at the little cafe down the hill.

5 comments:

Montana Barn Cat said...

Now these here corn griddle cakes look GOOD! What has your experience been with corn meal? Do you recommend finely or coarsely ground? We like War Eagle Mills stone ground but its made in Arkansas-not localvore friendly--and it's plenty coarse. Also, we have trouble with cornbreads at out hight altitude(5,000ft). Any suggestions? Do you use much maple syrup in your VT cookery? And just how much Bourbon are we talking about here. I want one of those truffles!

caesare` said...

i use tons of maple syrup. that and local honey are the only sweetners that i employ. the cornmeal ive been using is med- fine ground ..though, any will do.
I like to use coarser ground too. and sometimes i use a mix of both, especially in polenta...lends a nice balance in texture. I am just below 5000ft here--- and spent a good amt. of time in colorado where I used this to guide me during my time as a high mountain pastry chef
http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/pub__5790807.pdf

Montana Barn Cat said...

Oooh, thanks Chef! You're the BEST!

Stockyard Queen said...

Thanks for the link, Chef. That should help with our cornbread problems. I have an aversion to putting any wheat flour in my cornbread (a hangover from when I cooked with my Southern grandmother--she would have beaten me with the skillet if I'd suggested such a thing), but I've pretty much decided I have to sacrifice Southern purity to get something we can eat without breaking our teeth. I just made a nice batch of three bean salad, too--yum!

caesare` said...

im generally a purist myself... just corn in the bread...and i like to toss in the tasties of the summer too..like diced peppers and fresh corn off the cob ..
Buttermilk or yogurt make it super soft and moist... good ol america always finds ways to make things cheaper cheap..like adding flour.