Sunday, August 24, 2008

Exercising my 1st amendment

I'm going to try and make this one quick today ... an insight into my obsession with food...as well as my slightly schizophrenic and unsettled mind. :)

Food insecurity has been described as "a condition in which people lack basic food intake to provide them with the energy and nutrients for fully productive lives." (Hunger Task Force)

I walked around the farm this morning, admiring the tomatoes, peppers, and rapidly growing corn stalks. Myself, feeling privileged and proud to not only have at my fingertips, the most delicious and nurturing food, but to also know that I contribute to the system that grows this food.

Meanwhile, also thinking about the rest of the world, this country, my very own community and the desperate situation with food security -- So, read up -- If there one thing that MUST change in this world -- It is the food system degradation. Thinking about the fact that I sit here, with my new computer, piles of coffee mugs surrounding me, books, pens, fish oil in capsule form because I prefer not to taste it ... all of these seemingly simple commodities -- that I can afford to scoff. I recognize my place in this world and therefore it is my responsibility (and yours) to embrace our social and civil duties.

Its a small example -- but the kitchen crew and all staff ensure that all plant based materials are composted, even our humanure finds a happy home to become rich, nutrient-filled compost with which to feed summer flowers. We feed the chickens tasty scraps in turn for their even tastier eggs. Those loyal, grub loving chickens follow the grass fed sheep in rotational grazing - sanitizing the soil by devouring any potential parasites in the soil and manure. And so on...

It is a beautiful process indeed. One that has kept humans alive and healthy for centuries. Also -- It is a system that has quickly deteriorated. We humans have become lazy and careless about our bodies. No longer do we invest in nutritional foods, support local systems, and use energy wisely. Instead, we have allowed the industry to dictate our "food" system. We are far less frugal with cell phones, cable television, and new cars than we are with the most basic and essential key to happiness --- honest to goodness FOOD. Grocery stores fill landfills with "spoiled food" that is pefectly edible and could feed another 27% of our starving population.
We consumers have a choice. It is very simple. As the most privileged nation in the world, we must use our power of choice to create a more secure system for ourselves, one another, and the entirety of the human race. Globalization does not solve our problems, it only perpetuates our dependency on corporate control. As individuals we can focus on rebuilding our local communities and supporting those who are less fortunate through access to real food.
It is essential that we understand and demand that all humans have this basic right to food and nourishment. It is possible to grow and change --

From nourishment and stability comes a more balanced and peaceful society. Until we, as a human race, unite to bring sovereignty to ourselves and one another, debasement of our society, culture, and environment will continue.

"Certain rights can never be granted to the government but must be kept in the hands of the people...a right is not something that somebody gives you; it is something that nobody can take away"- Eleanor Roosevelt

Having a blog is like having a baby, without all the stretch marks and hormonal changes.
I can say what I want, and if you don't like it -- you can go to your room without dinner.

And thanks to mainstream media --- here I am, saying what I want to on Emeril's Going Green Series.


Due to air sometime in September.

3 comments:

Sarah Terry-Cobo said...

dude! keep the food security rants coming! if i didn't know better, i would think you belong to the church of Michael Pollan (no disrespect, sir). keep writing and let us know what you're reading!

Jenny Miller said...

I may not pick up live cockroaches with my bare hands, but at least I take my fish oil straight.

Sweepstakes offers said...

Once the myshoprite experience survey has been completed you will have the chance to enter the shoprite survey for a $500 ShopRite gift card.