Monday, August 18, 2008

Holla Back .... (UPDATED

with Challah and Yak...
Dr. Oran Hesterman- (check out The Fair Food Foundation) displays his awesome Challah ---which did indeed make me wanna holla. I don't generally get down on bread --- but this was incredibly delicious. Sorry you had to miss it. He used whole wheat, spelt, cornmeal, and sesame for a spin on a classic jewish
Shabbat bread.

In other news....

If you haven't tried fresh blueberries, chevre, basil, and olive oil on your very own woodfired pizza -- you are missing out.

YAK ATTACK!!!

The folks at Vermont Yak Co. are making waves with their healthy and lean meats --I'm excited about these Tibetan treats for many reasons. They are very similar to buffalo and every time I ride my bike down Route 100, I see them grazing in the pastures -- an assurance that these animals are being raised and treated humanely. If Yak isn't available in your neck of the woods -- any shank will do. Assuming, of course, that it is not from a feedlot.
(Sad feedlot cattle)

Now that you know all about sad feedlot cattle, on to preparation-- I coated each shank with olive oil and a mixture of Rosemary, Curry, Cumin, salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Next, I seared each one in a cast iron until caramelized on each side.
Finally, I placed them in a 2" baking dish -- with onions, carrots, and garlic --- and finished them with a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and Vermont Apple Cider.
Next, cover the baking pan with foil and bake at 300 degrees for 6 hours -- a slow, wet roast assures that the meat will be tender and literally fall off the bone without drying out.

..completing the finishing Yak Touches .. I removed the wine and cider that had previously covered the shanks. In a saucepan, I brought a boil and reduced to 1/2. Wow, it made for a delicious sauce to smother those tender little shanks.
Finally, a dish that Julia Child would don acceptable enough to accompany a nice glass of sherry.
Also, what a woman that Julia!
WWII SPY
Spaetzle in Black Currant Sauce

One of the retreat participants brought Black Currants as a gift --- I wanted to experiment, as usual, so I decided to make a savory sauce. Honestly, The best direction I could give --- browning garlic, adding currants, minced sage and rosemary, maple syrup, and salt and pepper to taste. I let this sauce thicken slightly and then tossed Spaetzle just before service.
These little dumplings would be excellent with the aforementioned Shank or any game meat. The black currant is tangy but also sweet. I sure love to fruit my meat!
Also, it's nice as a stand alone with roasted beet greens.

I swear, last weeks dishes are coming soon (roasted beet salad, poached pears, etc.etc.etc.)

In the meantime -- Enjoy the updates from the nearest and dearest to my heart --
it's true, she traded her BWM for a minivan!

Also, don't forget to try out Jeremy's Tomatillo Recipe.

Ciao and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can comment! woot!

Looks like these good folks will experience some "Shaw SHANK redemption"!!

haha! re-fried joke.

Deborah Krug said...

hi Chez! Your blog remains my salvation as I make some steak for my housemates day of birth. Hope all is well! Love,
DK