Friday, August 1, 2008

oh, just another day on the farm

birthdays help make the days pass with more excitement than usual.. especially when carrot cake is involved... I am exhausted these days, which is why I haven't been updating much. I promise there will be plenty of recipes and foolish humor soon. In the meantime, check Heck's Kitchen..my girl is dedicated.

Thanks to my lovely assistant, Deb, for being born. I made a carrot cake ---4 layers and Laura made a lovely maple creme icing. The farm made flowers and blueberries. I made this recipe up and it turned out quite dandy. If I can remember it, I will post it.



I just can't seem to get away from these griddle cakes ... I was invited to write another recipe for the Captial Area Food Bank Calender.
I actually had to test this recipe, so I didn't just make it up while I was typing. The new calender won't be out for a few months ....you get a sneak peak.

Sweet Corn and Basil Griddle Cakes with Fresh Tomato Jam

It is essential, when thinking about “changing course,” that we support local food systems and utilize the bounty of our land. Most of these ingredients are readily available at local farmers’ markets and can be frozen or preserved for the fall or winter when availability is scarce. In the summer, this dish is simple and highlights the fresh tastes of the season.

Fresh Tomato Jam (Warm Tomato compote in off-season months)

4 Cups fresh tomatoes
2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. cayenne
1 Tbs. minced onion
1 chopped and seeded chili pepper (optional)
Salt to taste

Using your hands, squeeze tomatoes into a large mixing bowl to desired jam consistency. Add remaining ingredients and allow to rest at room temperate for 30 minutes. For the warm compote, simply cook onion with seasonings over low heat in 1 Tbs. of sunflower oil and add preserved tomatoes.

Sweet Corn and Basil Griddle Cakes

1 Cup yogurt
1 Cup milk
¼ Cup sunflower oil
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. salt
2 ears sweet corn (approximately 1 ½ Cup)
¼ Cup minced basil
4 Cups cornmeal

Mix all ingredients, adding cornmeal last, to form a thick dough. Heat in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet and oil if necessary. Using two spoons, drop two inch mounds of dough into skillet and flatten slightly. Allow to cook until deep golden and crisp on each side.

Spoon tomato jam on top of warm griddle cakes and enjoy with an optional dollop of crème fraiche.


Red Heirloom Quinoa!
This is my favorite grain. It is extremely healthy and delicious.
Get some.

No comments: